Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

10 Things You Might Not Know About Our Town

1.

Washington was originally chartered by New York during the dispute over the New Hampshire Grants and named Kingsland. The town was re-chartered and named Washington by the Vermont government in 1781.

2.

Our town was uninhabited until 1785, when David Morse obtained title to 100 acres.

3.

The highest population of Washington, Vermont was 1400 back in 1840.

4.

The lowest population of Washington, Vermont was 565 in 1960.

5.

June 12, 1925 brought the first 14 street lights to Washington’s village. The cost of the power was $15.17 a month.

The town officials had to sign a ten year contract guaranteeing payment, with the understanding that the Washington Women’s Club (16 ladies) would raise the money. George Huntington, age 80, offered to match 50 cents for each dollar that the club raised. Mrs. Lizzie Avery gave money to purchase two more lights, and the town purchased another four, bringing the street lights to a total of twenty.

Over the ten year contract, the club paid $1,820.40.

6.

“The Calef memorial Library, a Colonial Revival building located on VT Route 110 in Washington, is built of red brick on a cement foundation. When Ira C. Calef, who died in 1917, wrote in his will that he would give the town $12,000 to build a library, he added an interesting proviso: if granite–preferably building blocks–was used on the outside, he would give $3,000 more. The only granite on the building is the plaque over the entrance, CALEF Library 1919, the year construction began. One wonders if the additional money was forthcoming.” (Where The Books Are by Patricia W. Belding, Potash Book Publishing)

7.

The first jail was built on the Bohonon farm, was built of logs, and the first prisoner escaped to plant the potatoes that the jailor had left for him to eat.

8.

From 1895 to 1943, the Washington Agricultural Association sponsored an annual fair held on what is commonly referred to now as “The Old Fairgrounds.”

9.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 38.9 square miles (100.7 square km), of which 38.9 square miles (100.6 square km) is land and 0.03% is water. (Wikipedia)

10.

The Town Office building started out as a private home—that of Quincy Calef. Between its stint as that home and the current office, the building was a Catholic church.