Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

FEMA Help for Private Driveways

FEMA Fact Sheet 016 – DR-4720-VT

August 2023 1

Help for Private Roads and Bridges
If your privately owned road or bridge was damaged or destroyed by Vermont’s July severe
storms, flooding, landslides and mudslides, FEMA and the U.S. Small Business
Administration (SBA) may be able to provide financial assistance for replacement or
FEMA Grants
Individual Assistance
If you live in Caledonia, Chittenden, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, Rutland, Washington, Windham or Windsor County,
FEMA’s Individual Assistance grants may be used to repair disaster-damaged privately-owned access roads and
To qualify, you must have owned and occupied your home at the time of the disaster, and a FEMA inspection must
determine that repairs are necessary for a vehicle to access the property. In addition, you must meet at least one of
the following conditions:
 The road or bridge is the only access to the property
 No one can access the home due to damaged infrastructure
 The safety of the occupants could be adversely affected because emergency services vehicles cannot reach the
residence (this will only be considered if access was available before the disaster)
When multiple households share a privately-owned access route, each household should apply separately so they
can be considered for all forms of aid. Assistance for the route will be shared among applicants, requiring additional
coordination and documentation.
To apply, visit, download the FEMA App or call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362. If you
use a relay service such as video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service or others, give FEMA your number
for that service when you apply.
To apply in-person, visit a Disaster Recovery Center, where FEMA and SBA specialists can help you upload
documents, answer questions and learn about available resources. Walk-ins are welcome. Centers are open in
impacted counties across the state – for current locations and hours, visit