Selectboard Special Meeting, November 20, 2023
Draft Page 1
Selectboard present: Sheila Duranleau (Chair), AJ Galfetti, Fred Blanchard
Town Officers present: Josh Bell (Tree Warden), Peter Carbee (Planning), Lois Deberville (Town Clerk), Harry Roush (Assistant Town Clerk), Gary Winders (Planning, Zoning)
Visitor: Maxine Durbrow, Washington Fire District #1
- Chair called the meeting to order at 6:28 p.m.
- Adjustments to agenda: Maxine Durbrow, Gary Winders, Josh Bell, Lois Deberville
- Public comments on issues not on the agenda-none
- Discussion and solution regarding selectboard members’ conflict of interest related to the demolition and removal of structure project at the Buswell property:
- Two board members have a conflict of interest. Sheila had consulted with the Vermont League of Cities and Towns who suggested there be a committee formed of disinterested parties. AJ made the motion to form a committee 2nd by Fred, carried by ayes.
- Fred made the motion to accept the recommendation of said committee, 2nd by AJ, carried by ayes.
- Maxine Durbrow, representing the Washington Fire District #1, explained the need for a wireless system and switch for the water pump as the line is broken that runs from the pump house to the reservoir to tell the pump when to come on and turn off, and currently she has to manually turn it on and off. She requested money from the ARPA fund. AJ made the motion to allocate the fire district up to $10,000 for the wireless system and accessories necessary, 2nd by Fred, carried by ayes.
- Gary said Vince Vermette and Joe Bresette are willing to serve on the Planning Commission, and they need to be appointed until next town meeting day. Fred made the motion to appoint them, 2nd by AJ, carried by ayes.
- Josh as Tree Warden discussed the infestation of the Emerald Ash Borer in the Washington Town Forest. Any trees in the right of way are the responsibility of the town. He will look into grants available to help mitigate the situation to avoid falling trees.
- Lois read this response from the Secretary of State’s office (records management) regarding using the last town auditors’ statement for fiscal year ending December 31, 2018, as a cut-off date for records retention. The selectboard was agreeable to abide by the following statement:
- Fred asked Harry and Gary to be on the committee with him, they agreed. The public meeting to review the bids will be Monday, November 27, 6:30 p.m., at the town hall. This meeting will only cover the bids opening, review, award.
“There is no clear indication in statute that you need to have a full audit report in order to prove that the town’s financial records have gone through an audit. As such, it seems reasonable to use the statement from the annual report as the proof and as the basis for disposition per the Accounting Record Schedule.”
- Motion made by AJ to adjourn the meeting at 6:54 p.m, 2nd by Fred, carried by ayes.
Respectfully submitted, Lois Deberville, town clerk. Subject to amendment/approval by the selectboard.
(Apologies for the Zoom not working-the computer decided it was a good time to update its system.)